Thursday, January 21, 2016

Amelia in Wonderland



Back in November, we went home to have Amelia's first birthday party a little early. The theme was Alice in Wonderland, but with a vintage twist that felt more like a baby's party. I made the invites myself in Photoshop and had them printed by Shutterfly. I then cut the corners in the shape of a tea bag, punched a hole in the top and tied a piece of bakers twine through it, they were precious!

Anyone who has ever helped my plan anything knows I get a bit obsessive over little details.Which, lets face it, can be super annoying.  I had to really learn to let people help me. Trying to take care of a baby and put on a great party is not an easy task. 

For months, I had been dropping by craft stores and picking up all sorts of little things and in the end, I was just lucky that most of it went together. I had a lot of help from my family and friends to really make it work and I'm super thankful for that. 


I made all of the decorations, her "high chair" banner, drew the little framed pictures, and did the cakes. This mama was exhausted! We even bought a nicely bound copy of Alice in Wonderland and had the first empty page signed as a guest book. I wanted her to have a keepsake that she would actually want later. I plan to do this for all of her birthday parties. 


The menu was as follows:

Chicken Salad Croissants
Pimento Cheese Finger Sandwiches
Fruit and Veggie Trays
Heart Shaped PB&J
Cucumber Open Faced Sandwiches
Meat and Cheese Tray
Chips and Pretzels in Cupcake Liners
Spinach Dip and French Onion Dip served from Tea Cups



There of course was a sweets table, complete with cake, cookies, pastries, and a candy buffet. I hand stamped the brown favor bags with an "A" and displayed them in a teacup planter. The cakes were based off designs seen here and here.


I have definitely learned a lot so far being a mom, but one of the most important things so far is to just let people help you. They really want to make things easier on you and it can be important to let go of that control sometimes. I let go and got to really enjoy my daughter's first birthday! Instead of being so wrapped up in the details of the party, I got to enjoy the little moments with her that are only going to happen once in a lifetime! Celebrations should bring joy, not stress. Let loose and live a little. 

No comments:

Post a Comment