Friday, February 26, 2016

Creating Inspiration


I have the hardest time keeping myself inspired to create. I feel like this is something that a lot of artists struggle with. I can't even tell you how many times a week I get everything out to start working, stare at the paper for five minutes, and put everything away. It can be really tough to have this happen over and over again. If you are a creative type, I'm sure you can relate to this sort of frustration.

I came to a realization the other day though. Sitting around and just hoping for my muse to hand me a completed work wasn't going to get me anywhere. It takes actually sitting down and getting started. You have to put in the effort to get going and by doing so, you can create your own inspiration.

I put Amelia in her chair and gave her some art supplies. She got straight to work on her beautiful scribbles and I got to work on mine. I put pencil to paper and before I knew it, I had the entire under-drawing completed.

I had no vision for the piece when I started, although I do have an underlying theme in almost all of my work. Each little part of the sketch led to the next and then I hit a block.  I had a wide expanse of negative space and I had no ideas. And the best advice I can give when this happens is to walk away. Leave the piece unfinished, shut it up in your sketchbook and forget about it for awhile. Coming back to a drawing with "new eyes" is the best thing you can do. I do this also when I am not liking a picture. Often times, when revisited, it isn't as bad or as hopeless as originally thought.I hope I can take my own advice on these things in the future. Always, always try.

I am still learning to watercolor, so the rest of the process was a bit touch and go. I decided to texture all of that negative space. I used a dropper and rubbing alcohol to get a texture I like. I'm honestly super happy with the way it all turned out. The last step in my process involves going back over the painting in marker, to bring out my lines.

If I had never taken it upon myself to get inspired, I would have never created this. I think that would have been a real shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment